Workflow question

Hello

This is not so much a question about Iceni as about workflow in general with pdf files and CAT Tools.

I’d just like to check I have a reasonable understanding of the problem if you want to translate a pdf

1 .pdf software is not designed for export and import back in to it. It is more designed for creation and editing within the .pdf software

2 You can extract the text of a .pdf (if it isn’t dead and forgetting about OCR for a moment ) with a software and then either

a Translate it in Word for instance, reformat it to look like the original and then just recreate a new .pdf from within Word

or

b Translate it in for example a CAT Tool like OmegaT and try to reimport it back to the original pdf file using Iceni

3 Translate the text and then recreate the pdf from zero (by typing in the text after translation) with a pdf editing software

3 Whatever you choose do to, it takes time and you need the angels on your side :slight_smile:

Is this about right? If not, please can someone correct my poor understanding of the situation. How do you make the best choice for each situation? What are the indicators to look out for.

Thanks

SafeTex

Hi,

Yes I think that is a fair summary.

Thanks, Simon.

Can I just point out that the Infix workflow is actually quite robust and straight forward. You don’t need the luck of the translation Gods!

We are currently in the process of adding new translations for the Infix Quick Start Guide (Danish and Italian are in progress). We exported XML from the English QuickStart then pass this onto freelance translators to deal with. They then send back the translated XML and I import it into the English PDF.
Infix sorts out reflow and even squeezes text where needed to ensure it all fits where it should. I then give it a read through to fix any issues. The typical issue is too much squeezing in which case a grow the text box a little.

The import of the XML takes less than a minute. I then go through checking which can take me another 30 mins and send the translator a complete PDF. They can then check again and make any edits directly to the PDF using their own copies of Infix.

I find it a nice way to work.
The more I do it (the more languages we localise Infix into) the more I think it would be nice if it did this or that, so I intend to add additional features to the software in the near future. We may even keep these back for a special Translators’ edition of Infix since many of the feature I’m thinking of will not be of interest to more general users.

If any translators using Infix have suggestions of features they think would be useful, I’d love to here from you.