FAQ: Please refer to this before posting new topics

Infix Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Can you tell me my activation keycode?
Infix will not accept my activation code and is saying it cannot connect to the internet.
How can I activate Infix if I have no internet connection?

Can I move Infix to another computer in my organisation?
Can I install Infix on all my computers?
System Requirements
All my PDF icons still say Infix even though I have removed the software.
Can I stop Infix checking for updates each time it starts?
How do I perform a silent install whilst still having control over the installation choices?

Can I edit files from my scanner?
What is “Overset text”?
Can you insert symbols, such as accent marks, somehow?
Why can’t I edit a certain piece of text using the Text tool?
Why do all my PDFs display in blue outlines with no images?

What kind of fonts can Infix load from my disc?
There is a long delay between key stokes when editing. How can I fix this?
Editing tools are grayed-out and cannot be selected.
Why do some hyperlinks move after editing?
Why are some of the annotations in my document missing?
How do I make text bold or italic?
Why do pink space characters appear outside of some text boxes?
What do all the pink rectangles mean?

Upgrading from version 5 to version 6 on the Mac
Accessing external drives on MacOSX

How do I edit upside down text?

Can you tell me my activation keycode?
In most cases, your original order number e.g. U123456 is your keycode. Just remove the ‘U’ prefix. If ordered through our current online commerce providor cleverbridge then it will be start with CB- proceeded by the order number e.g CB-12345678. This isn’t true for upgrades and Pay & Save keys.

Please use the following link to automatically retrieve your activation keycode using the email address associated with it:

Lost keycode form

If this does not work then we keep a record of all purchases made direct from our web site. If you can provide us with some means of finding your record such as the order number, the name or email of the original purchaser etc., we will search our database and supply your original keycode.

Infix will not accept my activation code and is saying it cannot connect to the internet.
This error is usually caused by a firewall program running on your machine or network which blocks Infix as it tries to confirm your keycode with the on-line database. It does this using the HTTP protocol and so this must be enabled for Infix on your computer or network. If you cannot get it to work even after investigating the role of firewalls, you can still activate using the ‘off-line’ activation method. [post=7]See below.[/post]

How can I activate Infix if I have no internet connection?
Infix can be activated ‘off-line’ with no internet connection. To do this you must download Infix using the URL provided in your purchase receipt – the demo version on our web site cannot be activated off-line. If you do not have the link, we can provide an alternative download link. Once you install the off-line version,

1. open Help->Buy/Activate… and click on the ‘Activate’ button
  2. click on the ‘activate on-line’ checkbox (to turn it off) – you should see some additional controls appear. If you see the warning that the software does not support off-line activation, you need to download the special version mentioned above.
  3. Copy the activation code now displayed and send it to us. This code changes each time you install Infix, so if you install it again before we send you your counter-code, it will not work.
  4. Paste the counter-code we send you into the box provided.

Watch a short flash movie showing this process in action.

Can I move Infix to another computer in my organisation?
To move your existing install to a new computer, download the correct installer from our support page and use your original activation key to activate the software. All that we ask is that you uninstall the software from the previous computer.

Can I install Infix on all my computers?
If you have your own work & home computers you can use a single license of Infix for both. All we ask is that Infix is not used on both simultaneously – it should be for your use only.

System Requirements
Any version of Windows 2003, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 (including 64-bit versions).
512MB RAM, 1GB for Windows Vista/7/8. 1GHz x86 CPU, 60MB free disk space.

All my PDF icons still say Infix even though I have removed the software.
To change the application that PDFs are associated with and therefore their icons please follow these steps.

Right click a PDF.
Select “Open With->Choose (default) Program…” from the pop up menu.
Select the program you wish to use (Acrobat?) and click on the “Always use the selected program to open this kind of file” checkbox.
Click OK.

Can I stop Infix checking for updates each time it starts?
Infix version 4 checks the Windows registry to determine if it should check for updates each time it starts. By default the registry setting is true but this can be changed by editing the registry. This can be done by downloading and running this regedit script.

Infix version 5 sets the auto update option during installation. To change the setting, simply re-install Infix again and make your choice.

How do I perform a silent install whilst still having control over the installation choices?
With either Infix version 4, 5 or 6, run:

InfixSetup.exe /SAVEINF=“mychoices.inf”

After installation is complete a new file “mychoices.inf” will be created in the same folder as the installer. This file records all of the choices you made during the install such as printer driver installation, shortcuts etc.

For additional installs you can now run:

InfixSetup.exe /LOADINF=“mychoices.inf” /VERYSILENT /NORESTART

The Infix installer is built using InnoSetup and consequently offers many more command line parameters.

Can I edit files from my scanner?
If your documents are simple scans then “No.” A scan of a page is just a photo of a page with no real text or objects of any kind besides a single, page-sized image. Some scanner software includes an OCR (Optical Character Recognition) facility which should be able to convert the image into editable, text items. If the text produces by this process is hidden in the PDF, use the Document->OCR Corrections… menu in Infix to edit it. Otherwise, just edit the text as normal.

What is “Overset text”?
When there is too much text to fit inside a text box, the text box is classed as being “overset” and the overflowing text is made invisible. Sometimes this can happen as a result of an edit or a search and replace operation. Infix adds a red box to text boxes when they become overset and also warns you when you save the document if there are any overset boxes. You can resolve the issue either by making the text box bigger or by making the text smaller or more tightly spaced.

If you ignore the warning and save your document with some text overset, the overflowing text remains in the PDF even though it will be invisible. You should be able to edit the document at any point in the future and fix the problem.

Can you insert symbols, such as accent marks, somehow?
Begin editing your text using the Text tool. From the main menu, choose Text->Character Palette… to see all the characters available in the various fonts embedded in your PDF plus those on your computer’s hard disc. Double-click on a character in the palette to insert it into your document.

Why can’t I edit a certain piece of text using the Text tool?
It may be one of three reasons:

• The text is an image
  • The text is an illustration
  • The text is locked.

You can check if the reason is (1) or (2) by viewing the PDF using View->Outlines mode. In outline mode, real text remains solid. All images become boxes with a diagonal cross and illustrations are shown as blue outlines. To check for (3), click the text using the Object tool. If locked, Infix will ask you if you want to unlock it. If it is none of these, please send us the PDF and we’ll take a look at it.

Why do all my PDFs display in blue outlines with no images?
You are viewing PDFs in outline mode. This mode is toggled using the View->Outlines menu option.

What kind of fonts can Infix load from my disc?
Infix version 3 and later can load any TrueType (.ttf) and OpenType (.otf) fonts held in your Windows Fonts directory.

There is a long delay between key stokes when editing. How can I fix this?
The delay may be due to two reasons:

• If you are editing part of a lengthy paragraph, Infix will take time to rejustify the text after each keystroke. Switch to left-align during editing may improve this.
  • Complexity of the page. If you page has large images, patterns, shades or complex vector artwork, this will slow things down. Choose View->Outlines to switch to a simpler, faster page view to overcome this.

Editing tools are grayed-out and cannot be selected.
This is probably caused by the security restrictions of the document being viewed. Choose Document->Security… and check the access restrictions for the document. You may need to obtain a password in order to unlock the document.

Why do some hyperlinks move after editing?
Infix reflows text during editing but does not change the position of any hyperlink annotations as it does so. This means hyperlink and other kinds of annotation that used to sit over some text, may end up sitting over different text as the text reflows underneath them.

Why are some of the annotations in my document missing?
Infix version 1 only displays one kind of annotation – the ‘Iceni Table Box’ annotation as created by Infix or Iceni’s Gemini software. All other kinds of annotation will still be retained in the PDF after editing, but will not be visible. Infix version 2 display sticky note and hyperlink annotations also.